Washburn's World

My take on the world. My wife often refers to this as the WWW (Weird World of Washburn)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Wisconsin, United States

I am a simple country boy transplanted from the Piehl Township in northern Wisconsin to the Milwaukee metropolitan area who came down "sout" in 1980 for college and have stayed in the area since.
If this blog is something you wish to support, consider a donation.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

To Jim

Life is distractions and tragedy. Sorting and prioritizing those events are what shape us.

With that I would like to take this opportunity to eulogize my cousin Jim Washburn who died this last month. Jim was struck in the head with a tree branch as he was burning carbon from the spark plugs of his new sled (snowmobile). This happened at half moon "island" at the mouth of the Fox river of Pistakee Lake as he was heading to Fox Lake. He died sometime between 11:00 pm and 1:30 am of the night of Tuesday, December 19, 2007.

The Washburn family of Gurnee, Illinois is close knit. Jim and I grew up together even after my family moved to Piehl in 1974. His sister is the god-mother of my daughter. There is a Jim-shaped hole in our family and my life.

I miss Jim’s smiling face and his joy of living. At his funeral in the many pictures of him on his various Artic Cats there was a lot of air under the ski's; not this much air, but only because the opportunity never presented itself. That zest for living is what I will most.

My blog is small, but, what meager stage I have, I give to you, Jim.
Kin, Cousin, and Friend.

I miss you and will continue to miss you. But, I know from the promise of our Savior this separation, while hard, is temporary.

If God wills, maybe we can zoom the clouds as we zoomed snow in the woods and on the lakes of Three Lakes, Eagle River, and Da UP.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

I'm so sorry John, I didn't know. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

Sun Jan 06, 05:42:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home